Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shepherds Dinner

This was the finished product. It turned out really well and we did it on a very slim budget. I thought that the coffee tables in the middle, so that people could sit on the floor like they probably would have in Christ's time, turned out really well. We had a short program about how the Shepherds were the first to see the star in Bethlehem and how we are all "Witnesses of Christ." We handed out the dinner and explained the meaning behind it and then a sister in our ward, Brittney Harper, sang a beautiful song to end the night. It really was a wonderful activity. I was very glad to be part of it.
Our food table was really fun. They wanted to actually eat what the Shepherds would have eaten back in Jesus' time and we served them in these big baskets. It kept the feel of the whole night.
My good friend Leah asked me if I would help her decorate for the Christmas Enrichment night. I was so excited when she told me that they were going to have a Shepherds dinner. I was very new to the ward and this was a great time to get to know people. Leah and I took a drive and actually pulled dead and dried weeds and branches and everything else we could find and asked many people if we could use some of their vases they had in their homes. That is what we used to make the centerpieces. It was great and we had many laughs while pulling weeds. We went to Panera bread and they gave us all of their unused bread and we served it is baskets that we rounded up. We even went to wal-mart and got those battery operated lights so it looked like we had little candles on the tables, and the potato sack fabric that we found was a great finishing touch. So much fun.

1 comments:

Shonna said...

I loved this event! The decorating was gorgeous, the meal yummy, and the Spirit was felt during the lesson and testimony meeting. Loved it.